Monday, November 2, 2009

Smoking X's

It's Tuesday, November 3rd, and Today at midday is the Melbourne Cup. The race that stops the nation. What does this mean to me? the race that stops the foot traffic. I haven't had a customer for two hours and the race is just about to start.
I have also spent most of today chewing on what is one of my top five all time favourite cigars - the Arturo Fuente's Opus X.
This is a Dominican cigar produced by the Fuente family in limited quantities which packs a real punch for it's petit corona size. Even just having it in my mouth sucking air through it i can taste the rich cinnamon, spice and strong leather characteristics more than actually smoking some other cigars.
So as the race stops the nation I'm going to stop, swing shut the door and settle back with what i know is a winner every time. Come along with me....

First thought - You'd think working in a cigar shop I'd have a reliable lighter wouldn't you? Note to self - All display lighters should be fully gassed.

The first draw of this cigar and I'm immediately hit with a plethora of flavours. This is definitely a full bodied cigar and I'm glad I had lunch before lighting this up. Another thing i love about it is the draw - it is also reliable, smooth with just the right amount of resistance. I like my cigars a lot firmer than most people but it is more about the cigar giving me something to chomp on than the draw itself. I chew my cigars pretty hard so a tight cigar is perfect for me. This little Opus has a perfect draw without any work but it is still rock hard. I don't know how they do it.

It's been about five minutes now since i lit up and the store is looking lovely, long thick white ribbons of smoke are hanging in the air and curling around me. From couch hopping so much (not to mention dealing with draconian anti smoking laws) i often forget the true pleasures of smoking in doors.
I'm also getting a look at the beginnings of the firm white ash that is so trademark for Dominican cigars. I love Cuban cigars, their flavour profile is diverse and they are recognized worldwide but I must say their rolling often falls short of the expectations. An uneven burn is almost expected whereas you could use the ash on this one to line up shelving it's that straight.

Halfway through the cigar now and I'm feeling slightly zonked out. My one complaint with this cigar is it does leave me feeling a little bit green. It comes in a robusto size as well (little bit shorter but much wider) and i haven't been game to smoke it yet because of this.

I've de-banded the cigar now as it was in danger of singeing. And this band is truly a work of art. The Fuente cigars are always really beautiful to look at.
The cigar itself is really starting to get in to the "zone" now. The oils are all igniting and it's smoking thicker and creamier than ever. There's strong pepper flavours coming through now along with a heavy leather smell.
As a child I would often hang out on my neighbours farm (a mere 5 kilometres away) and they would have their cows in these huge barns. This cigar reminds me of this. The heavy air and earthy, natural smell.

My fingers are starting to hurt a little now, the burn is down that far, and the trickle of people coming past the store is starting to turn back in to the flow of a busy day. It's time to put this cigar down, air out the shop and find out who the hell won the race.
No matter if i lost money or made a killing i think this Melbourne Cup was a winner for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment